As we come to celebrate Valentine’s Day next week, I think a cupcake is a perfect sweet Valentine’s treat. So a here a vanilla cupcake for this week foodie Friday.
Recipe adapted from Heart of mary
VANILLA CUPCAKES (makes about 20)
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/4 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Line muffin trays with baking cups.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, starting from a low speed gradually increasing to high, cream butter and sugar together until very light in colour and fluffy.
4. With mixer turned down to medium-low speed, beat in eggs one at a time. Add in vanilla extract.
5. In three additions, alternately add in flour mixture and buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape bowl as needed to ensure that everything is incorporated well. After the last addition,
beat at high speed for the last time for about 45-60 seconds.
6. Using a 2″ ice cream scoop, fill each baking cup with the cupcake batter.
7. Bake for about 22-25 minutes. Transfer each cupcake immediately to a wire rack to cool completely.
Frosting adapated from Heart of Mary
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
(Will frost about 20 cupcakes)
1 bar (250g) cream cheese, cold, cut up into small cubes
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered/icing sugar, sifted
In a medium bowl, beat the butter for a few seconds. Add in the cubed cream cheese and vanilla extract.
Beat until combined.
Add powdered sugar in 3 additions. Beat only until the mixture is smooth. Overbeating will make the frosting go soft.
Now you have stiff cream cheese frosting that’s perfect for piping those high swirls!
❤ have a sweet Valentine’s Day ❤