As I get to travel to more and more places, I get to tick things off my bucket list – but that just leaves room on the list to add more places! Here’s my summer 2017 updated list of places that I NEED to travel to…
1. Santorini Probably the most Instagrammable of all the Greek islands, the hotels carved into the cliff side caves and the blue dome rooves are beyond aesthetically pleasing and have really captured my imagination. I’d love to go here for my honeymoon (I’m not even engaged!) as it looks super romantic, especially the suites with infinity pools or hot tubs overlooking the sea – ideal!
2. Croatia Croatia has become really popular recently and I’d love to go on an island hopping trip there. I’d like to see Dubrovnik and all the places where Game of Thrones is filmed as well as the mid-Dalmation city of Split, Brac, Hvar and Korcula. Apparently it’s an enticing mix of old and new, sightseeing and beach-bumming.
3. Australia Australia has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember but with it being so far away and so expensive, I’ve never had the opportunity to go there before. We’re actually planning a trip in January which I am beyond excited about (I only mention it about 10 times a day) where we’re going to hire a campervan and drive from Sydney up the east coast to Cairns. I’m especially excited for an overnight sailing trip to the Whitsunday Islands which has been recommended to me by pretty much everyone I’ve spoken to about the trip.
4. Kenya I’ve always wanted to go on safari and see some magnificent animals in their natural habitat, rather than in zoos. I’d ideally love to stay at The Safari Collection’s Giraffe Manor, a boutique hotel with luxury rooms set in 12 acres of land where you can have your breakfast with wandering giraffes.
5. LA I’ve visited America a couple of times – Florida and New York – but LA is now top of my list. I’d like to wander up Rodeo Drive, roller skate on Venice Beach and hike in the Hollywood hills. Add to this star spotting on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and a tour of celebrities’ houses.
6. Macedonia A very late addition to the list, Macedonia has very recently caught my attention and, in particular, the capital Skopje. The Soviet-era architecture is really interesting and a lot of it is inspired by architecture in other European countries, like the Arc de Triomphe from Paris. I don’t know many people who have been to Macedonia for a city break and that sense of discovery really appeals to me.
7. Venice The first time I went to Italy was a city break in Rome this January and I absolutely fell head over heels in love with the country. I want to sail on a gondola down the canals, explore the narrow streets and visit St Mark’s Square, the Bridge of Sighs and the Realto Bridge.
8. New Zealand I never really fancied New Zealand up until quite recently but it looks incredible. The lush green scenery is super varied with mountains, lakes, beaches and fiords. Apparently it’s really relaxed, it’s easy to travel around and the beer is good – oh and there are no snakes, unlike Australia!
9. Jamaica I’ve visited the Caribbean in the past when I’ve been to Nassau in the Bahamas and it was literally paradise. I’d love to go back and this time visit Jamaica. I love the laidback island life style, delicious jerk chicken and, of course, the rum cocktails.
10. Iceland Iceland has become really popular for a mini breaks over the past couple of years and I’d love to go. I’ve heard that the best way to see the best of the country is by driving the golden circle. I’d love to see the Northern Lights, take a dip in the Blue Lagoon and sample the local cuisine – although I’m not too sure if I could eat reindeer!
Samantha from CocoButterBlog is a travel influencer exploring the world one adventure at a time and sharing it with the world.